"I've Waited My Whole Life For That"

On Sunday, I was delighted to be one of the featured speakers at Haddam-Killingworth Pride. It was a small event, but lots of fun was had. Also, I got to be the opening act for Celeste Lecesne, co-founder of the Trevor Project. 

As I was wandering around the event, I came across a vendor table where kids could make their own magic wands. I saw one little girl who had wrapped sparkly tape around the dowel, then affixed streamers to the end.

I complimented her on her creativity (and her nifty unicorn face paint). Then I knelt down in front of her and asked her use her wand to transform me into something. I figured she'd choose an animal, and I'd "moo" or hop or whatever.

She tapped me on the head with her wand, but said nothing.

I asked, "What did you turn me into?"

She looked up and said, "I turned you into a girl."

I started tearing up, and said, "I've waited my whole life for that. Thank you."

Comments