Book Review: A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns

A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them, Pronouns
Archie Bongiovanni & Tristan Jimerson
Limerence Press, 2018
Lexile Level: GN770L

If you use they/them pronouns, you'll find sympathetic representation here. If you don't, this is the place to start learning. Non-binary Archie is frustrated when they're misgendered. Tristan, Archie's cisgender pal, is the perfect foil and stand-in for the cis/het reader. 

The two characters walk us through what non-binary pronouns are, and when, where and why one might use them. The tone is light and approachable no matter what your previous exposure to the subject. The banter between the characters lightens the didactic elements. Readers at any level of familiarity will feel welcome.

I thought it admirable that the characters admit up front that this book is intended for redistribution, a counterpoint of sorts to the Jack Chick tracts of the 70s and 80s. Buy a copy; give it to your supervisor; leave it in the lunchroom. Workplace conditions for non-binary employees will only improve through effective, non-accusatory education. Comics can do that.

To be very honest, I'm not convinced pronouns are the hill we want to die on. I don't pass easily, so I know the simmering rage brought on by being misgendered daily. From a language teacher perspective, 3rd person pronouns are mostly used when I'm not there. Do I really care what you do when I'm not around?

I'd rather keep the focus on protecting the right to adequate health care, the safety of students, or the ability to use a public restroom without fear. To the sympathy-resistant, the pronoun issue reduces legitimate complaints about civil rights to more easily dismissed ideas of the PC Police and Cancel Culture. 

I do feel strongly that the service industry (and by that I mean everything from call centers to the Dunkin drive-thru) needs to reconsider the whole gendered salutation thing. I can think of a half dozen ways to be polite, professional, and helpful without resorting to sir or ma'am. But that requires a long-term commitment to educating the culture. Education via lecture is never effective. Don't tell me what to do or think. Do show me a better way, and I'll try it.

This 60-page mini-graphic novel is part f a line of Quick & Easy Guides published by Limerence, which is a division of Oni Press. Limerence is dedicated to publishing sex ed and gender studies-themed comics.

Comments