Out Film Festival: Gender Splendor: Trans & Non-Binary Shorts Part 2

 I.  Everyman, Jack Goessens (dir.) 2021

The interview segments of this 11-minute short work beautifully. Jack speaks to the camera (with an enchanting Scottish lilt) about his transition. He's insightful and entertaining. I loved the idea that Jack's superhero identity was Everyman, not Superman. We desire authenticity; we want to pass.

The reenactments of Jack as a child dressing in his father's clothes, are adorable. I don't understand the concept of bliss, but I know it when I see it. The wee chubby-cheeked bairn in the trailer radiates it. 

The talking head scenes, however, are intercut with re-enactments of scenes from Greek myth and fine art, using trans and non-binary actors. These didn't work for me. They came across as pretentious distractions, something you'd expect from a freshman film major's culminating assessment. Their artificiality is meant, I think, to express how gender is a construct: sets and costumes and poses. Unfortunately, they pulled me out of the narrative. I wanted more time with Jack.


II. Trans, Angel Puado Veloso, 2018 

My vote for best in show. Two Spanish grannies sit casually discussing a trans grandson. To say more would spoil the joy of the piece. Suffice to say, there's a difference between using the initialism LMFAO and actually doing it. I may have left my FA in the theatre after this film.

III. Illustrating Sam Newton, Lily Drummond (dir.), 2021

Identity is story-telling. The challenge, for some of us, is to control the narrative. The world brings its expectations of what we are, might be, should be. Empowerment is in that moment when we realize we can be our own shanachie, our own griot, the photographer and director of our own story. So it is with Sam Newton. Listen to the director and producer describe their project at the link above, and then seek out this film.

IV. Christian, Adan Pichardo (dir.), 2021

My relationship with organized religion is not unlike my relationship with Olive Garden. I recognize that many people go there, and fair play to them. But Olive Garden isn't selling anything I want.

That's not the case with Christiano, who has a conversation with his former town priest about joining the seminary. The priest is enthusiastic right up until he realizes the young man before him is trans. Christiano must match the priest verse for verse in arguing for his right to pursue his vocation. 

The film does what we as trans folks must do to make our case. It relies on sincerity and humor. As a former teacher, I can assure you that lecturing has its place, but it doesn't result in meaningful learning. If you start the dialog by telling me I'm wrong, there's nowhere for the conversation to go. We must start where the other is before we can move forward. 

p.s., I dare you to watch this short and NOT think of Risky Business.

Comments